Friday, December 15, 2006

Chapter ten: Punishment


It took a day for Daniel to finally get everything down from the ceilings in the school. It’s a very tedious job trying to use a scrapper to unstuck a couple hundred desks and chairs on top of a ladder. Luckily for him he was able to get all the desks down and only broke a few of them while he was doing it.

Digging the holes on the other hand took a while. Daniel was stripped down to his jeans and wore gloves but after a few hours of digging it felt like agony for his hands and back, but he had already told himself that he would pay the price and that it was all worth it for one last prank.

Luckily it wasn’t the first time that Daniel had done digging like this and his hands were tough and leathery from all the punishments he had had before.

Daniel zoned out while he was digging and he didn’t even notice the Mr. Hedges walk up behind him.

“You doing alright down there Daniel,” said Hedges. “You know if it wasn’t for you getting in trouble all the time I don’t think would have the half the things we have out here. For as much bad as you have done around here I guess you have done a lot of good as well.”

“I guess,” grunted Daniel.

“Well here is some water if you need some,” said Hedges.

He placed a big jug of water down at the edge of the hole. Daniel was a few feet down now and two thirds of the way done with the first hole.

“Thanks,” Daniel said.

He placed his shovel against one wall of dirt, grabbed the jug and took a long drink.

“It will get dark soon,” said Mr. Hedges. “I want you back in the building as soon as it does. This may be a punishment but I don’t want you hurting yourself out here.”

“I will,” said Daniel grabbing the shovel again.

Mr. Hedges walked away as Daniel started to dig again.

The hours ticked by as Daniel dug in a trance. He sunk the shovel deep in the soil time and time again until he had the wheelbarrow full and then he carted it off to the edge of the field where he dumped it out. Over and over in a continuous cycle.

Dusk came and took a break to watch the sun go down. It stained the sky purple, yellow and orange as it sank behind the distant mountains as it made everything cast their long shadows until they disappeared with the night cold.

Daniel climbed out of the hole tossed the shovel in the wheelbarrow and then took them over to the work shed. He was covered in sweat and dirt. He muscles ached as he walked to the shower to hose himself off. After his shower he walked back to his room and collapsed on his bed to tired even to crawl underneath the blankets.

The next morning was Saturday and Daniel crawled out of bed early and threw on a pair of old jeans, a plain white t-shirt and headed back down to the hole. He didn’t feel like breakfast. The food in his stomach would only make him feel bad under the hot sun.

It’s to early for a Saturday, Daniel thought as he made his way across the field with a his wheelbarrow and shovel.

Daniel’s thoughts then turned to Steve. He should have been leaving about then and taking the bus into the city. It was only about a twenty minute trip into the city and maybe twenty more to get to the library. Daniel decided it was best not to worry about it and just focus on his work.

Daniel had finished the first hole and after a few hours was getting a good start on the second one. His muscles still ached from the day before but he tried to ignore them and dig like he always did.

A few more hours passed and he saw Miss Williams walking across the field toward him this time she was in a pair of jeans, a plain brown blouse and was a brown bag in her hand. He waved to her and then watched as she walked closer to him. She knelt down at the edge of the hole and looked at the progress he had made so far.

“So what did you do this time?” Miss Williams asked.

“Nothing much same of the usual,” he answered.

“Well I’m glad you don’t pull these kinds of pranks in my classroom,” she said.

“Now what kind of person would I be if I did something like that?” said Daniel as he continued with his digging. “So what are you doing here on a Saturday anyway Miss Williams?”

“Well I wanted to get a head start on next week and you know I can’t get any work done at my place,” she said. “Besides I thought you could use some lunch.”

Miss Williams handed him the brown-paper bag.

“That’s awesome. What did you get me?” Daniel asked as he looked inside the bag.

“Nothing special just a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich, an apple and a Gatorade,” Miss Williams said.

“It doesn’t matter it’s still great,” Daniel said just before taking a bite of the sandwich.

“Daniel why do you always do things like this?” asked Miss Williams.

Daniel paused for a second while he finished chewing another bite thought about the question.

“I don’t know. They are just fun to do,” answered Daniel. “This place is to boring anyway. If I can’t leave than I might as well change the scenery that I am stuck with.”

“Well you could do something else to do that Daniel,” said Miss Williams.

“Yeah but they aren’t as much fun,” said Daniel. “I think this is going to be my last one though.”

“Finally growing out?” asked Miss Williams.

“No, I’ve just run out of ideas,” said Daniel.

“Oh,” Miss Williams said. “Well I better go get to work. I’ll stop by Mr. Hedges office and see if I can get him to lighten your punishment. He’s in his office isn’t he?”

“Don’t do that Miss Williams,” said Daniel. “I pay my dues. I don’t expect not to get punished for the things I do. Besides I already dug one hole I might as well dig the other hole.”

“Well I’m proud of you then,” said Miss Williams. “You want to finish what you start. That’s really good Daniel. Well you don’t forget to drink lots of water out here and rest when you need to.”

“I will besides it’s not that bad,” said Daniel.

“See you later Daniel,” She said as she started to walk toward the school building.

Daniel waved goodbye and then continued to eat his sandwich.

“I hope Steve is finding out something useful,” Daniel said allowed to himself as he started to dig again.

No comments: