Thursday, December 14, 2006

Chapter eight: Frank and Plans


Now for the older kids they lived in two person rooms that to some people were no bigger than a walk in closet but they had enough room for two beds, two desks, two small closets and nothing much else.

Now Steve and Daniel were friends but they weren’t roommates and even though Steve was probably the smartest kid in the orphanage there was someone else that through he was and that was Frank Newman.

“Daniel what the hell are you doing with all that crap?” asked Frank as Daniel walked through the door.

“None of your business jackass,” answered Daniel. “Why don’t you get out of here anyway. Don’t you have a club meeting to go to.”

Frank just glared at him through his thick rimmed glasses. Frank knew his parents and they weren’t dead. They were just drunks and declared by the state unfit to take care of him. The problem was that the rest of his relatives were drunks too. His own grandma put away a fifth of whiskey before noon. I guess you could say that it ran in the family, but Frank was determined to change that and become successful.

Daniel and Frank were alike in that same respect but Daniel wasn’t accepted by most people while Frank fell into the intelligent click small as it was in school. Frank was the president of almost all the clubs at the school. Chess club, science club, math club, French club, Latin club, space club, young republicans club and chairman of the small united nations.

They both had something to prove, but all Frank had to prove was that he wasn’t a drunk and could be successful. Daniel had to prove that he wasn’t an absolute screw up, liar and idiot even though he was only two of those things.

“Are you going to live outside with the rest of the drifters?” sneered Frank.

“You know it amazes me that every time you open your mouth you prove that you’re idiot,” Daniel shot back.

Frank turned back to the work he was doing at his desk and Daniel entered the room but not after turning around sharply at his closet hitting Frank in the head with the edge of his pack causing his glasses to fly off.

“Hey!” yelled Frank clutching the back of his head. “Be more careful dumb ass.”

“Oh did I hit you? I’m sorry I didn’t see you there,” Daniel said sarcastically.

Daniel threw his gear into his closet shoved the door closed and then headed out the door.

Franks hands were clenched on his desk the force of, which snapped the pencil he was holding.

Don’t worry Daniel, thought Frank. I’ll get you sooner or later. You will pay.

If anyone in the school could be called Daniel’s arch nemesis it would be Frank. Even Mr. Hedges didn’t hate Daniel. He was just doing his job and sometimes got mad and annoyed at Daniel but like most people that deal with children he was just doing what he thought was best for Daniel. Frank on the other hand hated Daniel. He hated him not because of his pranks but for his carefree attitude. Frank considered Daniel lazy, ignorant and basically a waste of space because he didn’t work to contribute anything to the orphanage or to any other person as far as he was concerned.

Daniel is just a waste of a person, Frank thought as he tried to focus on his work. I don’t know what he is planning but I’m going to find out and if I can I’m going to stop you.

Daniel made his way back to Miss Williams classroom. Steve was sitting in one of the little plastic and metal chairs used in elementary school class rooms and Miss Williams was at her desk grading papers and trying to update her lesson plans at the same time.

“Hey Daniel,” Miss Williams said without looking up from her papers.

“Hey Miss Williams,” He answered as he plopped down next to Steve. “Did I miss anything?”

“No they captured some humans and they are being nice and fattening them up with a bunch of cake,” said Steve his eyes glued to the television. “Bet you twenty dollars they eat them.”

“Maybe but that seems kind of obvious,” said Daniel. “I would try and think of something a little more original.”

They watched as one of the sea monsters from Jupiter took a bite out of one of the captives with a horrible crunch.

“I guess I was wrong,” said Daniel.

“Hey what took you so long anyway? I thought you were just going to your room,” said Steve.

“I did, but Frank was in the room,” answered Daniel.

“Oh that explains it. Wait check this out here comes another one,” Steve said pointing to the screen as another human became another monster’s main course.

“I wonder why that guy hates me so much?” said Daniel. “I didn’t do anything to him.”

“Who haven’t you done something to?” asked Steve. “I mean there can’t be that many kids here that actually like you that much.”

“I guess you have a point,” said Daniel.

The movie ended after awhile and Miss Williams was done with their work. They said goodbye to each other. Daniel and Steve just stood in the hallway leaning against separate walls and staring at each other.

“Well I’m bored,” said Daniel with his hands behind his head.

“I don’t like the sound of that. I know what happens when you’re bored,” said Steve in a worried tone.

“Don’t worry about it I’m not going to do anything to bad,” said Daniel reassuringly. “Besides it’s still a couple days until the weekend. I need something to kill some time. All I need is a side project while I wait for the weekend.”

“I thought you would say something like that,” said Steve. “Just keep me out of it. I don’t want to get into any trouble.’

“Oh come on you know you want to,” said Daniel. “Besides it’s not like you have anything to do.”

“I’ve got studying I have to do and you should probably do some yourself,” said Steve.

“What for? I’m going to be out of here in a week in everything goes as planned,” said Daniel. “Why don’t you help me with just this one. I want you to help me with my last prank here.”

“Well if you put it that way I guess I could help but I’ll just help with the planning and materials I don’t want to directly participate,” said Steve.

“Fine,” replied Daniel.

“So what do you have in mind?” asked Steve.

“Oh you’ll find out,” said Daniel with a sinister grin.

No comments: