Friday, December 8, 2006

Chapter six: Fear of abandonment


Steve burst into Daniel’s room a few minutes after he had arrived.

“What took you so long?” Daniel asked.

“Mr. Roberts took forever. He went over about a hundred ways to start a fire,” he said huffing and puffing. “I just couldn't get him to shut up.”

“It doesn’t matter where is this shed,” said Daniel.

Steve had his hands on his knees and was bent over trying to catch his breath. Instead of saying anything to Daniel he just motioned for him to follow him. Daniel followed Steve to the end of the football field under the bleachers to where a metal shed was half hidden from view.

“There is just about everything you will need in here,” said Steve as he unlocked the door and swung it open.

A cloud of dust escaped from the shed covering Daniel and Steve.

“(Cough cough) When is the last time you guys used this stuff?” wheezed Daniel.

“I guess it was (cough) a couple of years (cough) ago,” answered Steve.

Daniel stepped in and looked around at the contents of the shed. One side of the shed was covered with sleeping bags. All were rolled up and stacked like cord wood against the wall. On the other side were military style packs. They were faded green and had metal pack frames to help distribute the weight. There were also shelves that held a multitude of canteens, gloves, hats, lanterns, cooking utensils and other miscellaneous items. All of which were covered in a layer of dust.

“Well I guess I’ll just take what I think I’ll need,” said Daniel as he grabbed a pack from the pile.

He went from shelf to shelf and pile to pile looking at different items, stopping to look at shovels picking one up and then putting it back, looking at a flashlight and stuffing miscellaneous items into his pack. Meanwhile Steve ran around and grabbed all the essentials that Daniel was sure to forget such as an emergency blanket, snake bite kit and a first aide kit.

“If I wasn’t here to pick some stuff out for you you’d probably forget to even get things to cook with,” said Steve.

“Oh yeah I forgot about food. Where are the pots and pans?” Daniel asked.

Steve handed him a stainless steel mess kit including a fork, spoon and knife that all snugly fit together.

“Are you really going to leave?” asked Steve as he watched Daniel pack his bag.

“Of course I am you know how much I hate this place,” said Daniel. “Besides there isn’t anything for me here.”

“I just don’t see why you have to leave now,” said Steve.

“Now is as good a time as any,” answered Daniel.

Steve walked to the other side of the shed and pretended to fiddle with a lantern.

“I don’t even know why I’m helping you leave,” Steve said with a sigh. “I mean I’m only helping you abandon me.”

Daniel stopped packing and looked up at Steve.

“I’m not abandoning you. I just can’t stand it here anymore,” said Daniel. “I hate the kids, I hate the faculty and I hate this place. Now is my chance to leave.”

“But you are abandoning me,” said Steve as he turned around to face Daniel. “If you leave who is going to stick up for me. No one else likes me everyone just thinks I’m a dork. You’re the only one who as ever looked out for me. What am I supposed to do when your gone? Go live in a hole or something.”

Tears started to well up in Steve’s eyes but he fought them back. He didn’t want Daniel to leave he was the only friend he ever had.

“Why don’t you come with me?” said Daniel. “We could leave together just the two of us.”

“No I can’t!” said Steve. “I’m not like you. I’ve worked really hard to get good grades. I want to go to college and make something of myself.”

Daniel stood up and walked across to Steve putting his hand on his shoulder and looked him square in the eye.

“I want to make something of myself too,” said Daniel. “But I’m not like you either. I don’t have the good grades or the book smarts like you do. If I’m going to make something of myself I have to take drastic measures and doing something like this is going to be my first step on the road to something greater. I just know it. I don’t know what but I’ll know it when I see it.”

“I just don’t want you to leave man,” Steve said.

“I know you don’t, but I have to do this,” said Daniel. “Don’t worry I’ll write you when I can. I'll write down a different name or something and you can say you have a pen pal or something. Besides I’ll probably have some problems and I’ll need to keep in contact with you.”

“I guess that’s true,” said Steve. “You are kind of an idiot sometimes. Well maybe all the time but your not totally bad.”

“Oh thanks,” Daniel said sarcastically.

“So what do we do next?” asked Steve as he wiped his face with his sleeve.

“Well I’ll stash this place somewhere in my room or something and we'll just have to wait for the weekend before we can plan anymore.”

“What do you want to do in the meantime?” asked Steve.

“We could break into the audio visual room and watch movies,” said Daniel.

Ok, sounds good to me,” Steve agreed.

Daniel and Steve left the shed locked it behind them and made their way to the main building.

“Do you think anyone will ask why you have a bunch of camping equipment?” said Steve.

“Nope if you act like something belongs to you everyone usually assumes that it does,” answered Daniel.

“So we’re going to watch ‘Corpse killers from Venus’ right,” said Daniel.

“I thought we would watch ‘Attack of the killer slugs,’” replied Steve.

No comments: