Friday, December 8, 2006

Chapter five: Keys


Daniel and Steve spent the next few days in the library pouring over books and finding out as much as they could about where Daniel was headed. The only problem was they couldn’t really find much.

“Where do you think we should look,” said Steve. “We’ve looked through the state maps. I know exactly where the county is, but I can’t really find anything on the county itself besides that they are named after a melon, which is kind of self explanitory.”

“There has to be something around here,” Daniel replied.

“Well this isn’t exactly the biggest library in the world,” said Steve closing another book on state facts. “Maybe if we could get to the city library we could find some information on this.”

“That does cause a problem. Wait it’s not a problem you get to go out in town all the time on the weekends,” said Daniel excitedly. “You could go to the city library. You know I can’t go they always have me on lock down during the weekends.”

“I couldn’t do that the city library is to far away,” said Steve.

“It’s not that far just get up early in the morning and go you just have to be back by eight o’clock. Why are you giving me so much trouble over this?” Daniel said.

“I just wanted to go see that new spy movie that just came out and I wanted to see it before it was out of the theaters,” Steve said sullenly.

“I’ll make sure you can go to the movies another time just do this for me ok,” Daniel pleaded.

“Fine I’ll do it, but in the mean time we have to get some other things together,” said Steve.

“Like what?” asked Daniel.

“Well some way or another we have to get you some camping gear and the only place I know where to get some would be in the supply shed for the outdoor recreation department use,” said Steve. “Mr. Roberts the scout master is the only one who has the keys to the shed so we would need to get them from him.”

“I think I could pull that off,” said Daniel with a confident smirk. “Where does he work at?”

“Well in the afternoons he loans out all the sporting equipment to the kids,” said Steve.
“His office is in the gym so I guess the first place to look for them would be there. The only problem is that as far as I know he keeps them on him all the time.”

“Well we better do a little reconnaissance than if we want to get those keys today,” said Daniel.

Daniel and Steve left the library and headed outside toward the gym.

The gym was built into the side of a slopping hill. Even though it did not cover the building the one side of the gymnasium was sunk enough to where a person could walk onto the roof if they wanted.

“I know where there are some windows on the other side of his office maybe we can see in,” Steve said.

They raced to the other side of the gym where it met the hill. There were small windows, which hung from the top of the sill on a hinge and swung inward. They were old and some were covered in old white paint that had been splattered on them from past repainting of the building.

Steve and Daniel knelt down on their bellies to see into the office of Mr. Roberts.

Mr. Roberts was sitting in his desk chair his feet on his cluttered desk, which held lists of sporting equipment and their quantities. He never kept track of the equipment. He let people borrow footballs, baseballs, bats, soccer balls, volley balls, croquet sets and hockey sticks without even asking for them back.

He sat at his desk wearing the same khaki type uniform that he always wore. Like an oversized boy scout uniform complete with the kerchief. He had been an eagle scout at one time and he always reminisced about his time in the boy scouts by telling stories while playing with his red handle bar mustache or running his hands through his curly and equally as red hair. But right now he was just sitting at his desk twirling around a set of keys that were on the end of a chain.

“Do you know which key is which?” asked Daniel.

“Yeah it’s the big brass one with a piece of little red tape,” said Steve. “But how are you going to get it away from him.”

“I’ll get it from him alright,” said Daniel. “I just need you to cause a little distraction.”

“What do you want me to do? Do bird calls or something,” Steve said sarcastically.

“No you idiot just go down there to get a ball or something just keep him busy,” Daniel said. “Now get moving.”

With that Daniel pushed Steve with his one hand to get him moving faster.

“Fine fine I’m going you don’t have to shove me,” Steve said.

Daniel stayed by the window as Steve made his way around the building to the entrance of the gym. Within a minute Daniel could see Steve at the door of Mr. Roberts office.

“So what can I get for you today Steve?” asked Roberts as he got up from his desk placing the keys in the top drawer.

“I don’t know what it’s called but it’s round and kind of a blackish gray or something like that. Do you know what I’m talking about,” said Steve who made large motions with his hands in the air as he tried to describe what it was that he wanted.

“Do you want a soccer ball? I think I still have a few of them left,” asked Mr. Roberts.

“No that’s not it,” said Steve.

While Steve was busy distracting Mr. Roberts Daniel was waiting outside the window waiting to make his move.

Now’s my chance, Daniel thought to himself. I need to go now while Steve has him distracted.

Ever so carefully Daniel started to push the window in towards the room. The windowed creaked ever so slightly as Daniel watched to see if Mr. Roberts had heard it, but he was still paying attention to Steve.

Almost there, Daniel thought as he began to slide in through the opening.

The floor was a little farther away than Daniel had expected but it was already to late. He was half in and out of the window and there was not going back.

I can do this Daniel told himself, but just at that very moment he slide the rest of the way through the window falling in a giant bin of small foam balls as the window slammed shut with a Bang!

“What was that?” Mr. Roberts said turning sharply.

“That’s what I wanted I wanted a kite because of the wind,” said Steve drawing Mr. Roberts away from the noise.

“I’m not sure if we have any kites,” said Roberts.

“Oh Well I’d like something to do outside. Do you know of anything I could do by myself outside?” asked Steve.

Mr. Roberts began to list off activities as Daniel sighed in relief. The bin had been just empty enough to hid Daniel from sight.

That was a close one, Daniel thought to himself as he laid there. No time to waste I have to keep moving. Daniel moved slowly and carefully as he lifted himself out of the bin. He tiptoed the few feet to Mr. Roberts desk and slowly opened the top drawer.

“Well why don’t you come back here with me and we can look through some of the stuff I have maybe that will give you some ideas,” Mr. Roberts said as he turned to reenter his office.

Daniel quickly ducked behind the desk with the drawer half open.

I won’t be able to explain this away if he sees me, though Daniel. Steve better think of something quick.

“No wait I don’t want to cause a lot of trouble,” said Steve. “I know can you show me the proper way to start a fire without using any matches.”

“Well sure I can do that,” answered Mr. Roberts. “Why don’t we walk outside I know just the spot to do it.”

Mr. Roberts and Steve then exited the gym leaving Daniel to get the key.

Daniel shot up quickly from behind the desk, fumbled with the keys a little bit until he found the big brass one with the red tape on it, took it off the key ring and then ran out of there and didn’t look back.

That was a little to close for comfort, thought Daniel. Even if I wasn’t doing anything wrong the fact that I was sneaking around would make everyone think that I was just pulling another prank, besides it wouldn’t have been the first time a I played a prank on Mr. Roberts.

Daniel decided to run back to his room and than wait for Steve to meet him there. Then they would started getting the equipment Daniel needed to get out of here.

I can’t wait to get out of here, Daniel thought excitedly as he raced to his room. For as long as Daniel could remember he had wanted to leave the orphanage. It was only two years before he could legally leave but the sooner he got out of that horrible place the better. He didn’t want to be stuck in an institution like that for any longer than he had to. He wanted to roam free and choose his own paths in life. That had been his dream for the longest time. Ever since he read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn for his class book reports.

No comments: